Germany for Scientists and Researchers

Published on September 30, 2020

Germany’s reputation as a top destination for researchers is well-founded for a number of reasons.

Top Universities

For one, Germany’s universities are rated amongst the best in the world. These universities and other research institutions provide an excellent environment for researchers, often working in international teams on groundbreaking projects. Academic publications in Germany are also among the top five worldwide. On top of this, the country is also a world leader when it comes to research developments and patent registrations as well as disciplines of the future.

International Population being drawn by Infrastructure

Germany is a very cosmopolitan country, with around 20% of the population either an immigrant or a descendent of an immigrant. Germany impresses with a very high standard of living while still offering relatively low living costs. It is one of the world’s safest countries, rated in the top 20 by the Global Peace Index 2020. The health care system is excellent in Germany, with employers contributing to the cost and top-notch medical care accessible and well-organized. Germany’s infrastructure is exceptional, with rail, sea, air, and road services all rated above the European average. 

There are a number of measures in place to make it as simple as possible for researchers from abroad to work in Germany. EU nationals as well as those from some other countries can enter Germany without a visa. If you are already working as a researcher in another EU country, you can spend up to 180 days within a one year period working and living in Germany without having to apply for a German residence permit. There is also a reciprocal agreement allowing those who are in Germany for research purposes to spend this same amount of time in other EU countries.

How to Apply for a Work Permit?

If you come to Germany from outside of the EU or a country without a special arrangement, you can still apply for residence in Germany. In order to do so, you need an admission agreement or a contract with a relevant research establishment. This can be any organization in which research is carried out, including universities as well as the research departments within companies. You are also permitted to carry out teaching work as a scientist. When you reach the end of your contract, you can apply to the extent of your residence permit for up to nine months in order to look for employment within the area of your research.

With all of these benefits, there is no question about it; Germany is definitely an attractive and accessible destination for researchers!

Related Topics

Skilled Immigration Act

Fast-Track Immigration

Jenny Leibe

Jenny is a British citizen who has been living in Germany (Heidelberg, Berlin, Marbach am Neckar) since 2008. She has also lived in Scotland, England, Sweden, and Spain. She has plenty of experience in moving to new countries and getting to know new cultures and is now putting these to good use in her work as a Relocation Consultant.

Proud Member of